Sunday, April 17, 2011

Baking for Dorey

Now, let's see - I've made the pie, the tarts, the cake and...there's something I'm missing.

Midge? Is that you? Well come on in, silly girl! Why are you just standing there on my back porch?
Entertaining someone? Oh! No, I wasn't talking to anyone. Just myself. You see, Midge, I'm baking.

What's that? Oh, yes! I'm baking a LOT. I've got an apple pie, some lemon tarts, a chocolate-fudge-triple-layer-cake, and...there's one other thing I meant to bake, but it slipped my mind.

Why am I baking? For Dorey, of course! For her shower. It's tomorrow afternoon - you're invited, you know. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to be bringing some form of refreshment - am I right?

What?

You're bringing bakery buns?

Midge, are you out of your sweet mind? Bakery buns? Two words: Not Appropriate. Dear, dear naiive Midge - you need to bring something that shows how much you care. And the ONLY way to show how much you care is to bake something yourself. With your own two calloused hands.

Why not make some brownies? Everyone loves those! And I especially like the way you're never able to cut them all into the same-sized pieces! And the way you just slop the icing on - it gives them a whimsical feel, Midge! And, quite honestly, they ARE delicious. I mean, really. I've often wanted that recipe, actually. You never have shared it though, have you? Even after all these years!

You'll write it down? OH, Midgery! That's lovely! I would absolutely adore the recipe. Thank you, dearest! Just write it on this paper while I cover the cake. You know, Midge, since you're giving me the recipe, I'd be happy to bake the brownies, and you can just take credit for them. What do you think?

Midge? Oh, she's gone. I guess she had to run. Well, let's see this famous recipe of hers.

It says...Betty Crocker Double-Chocolate Brownie Mix.

Dear, sweet love. Say it isn't so.

No comments:

Post a Comment